Register a new account  
Crayon's Update Thread
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:18 am      Reply with quote

Lowdy wrote:
If things spawn in the market, are we going to get beaten sensless for killing a squick?

Good damn question. I'll look into this before I do anything with the sewers/market.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 am      Reply with quote

Thank you!

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 am      Reply with quote

Random suggestions for 'decongestion' progs for various areas:

Factories - Can't say since I don't know what will be in here. Perhaps something mechanical but techs can go out and hack the system to reduce automated factory drone spawns until the malfunctioning AI repairs itself. Dodging welders to the face, anyone?
Apartments - Insecticide spray of some kind against pesky spiders, utilizing the herbicide sprayers and a chem thing, prog returns an empty sprayer
Hospital - Right now I believe only spiders spawn here as well, but barkers potentially used to. Possibly establish a defense group and we supply them with armor/weapons/first aid to keep the angry dogs at bay.
Sewers - Squick traps by hunters? Maybe just senseless violence.
Cathedral - Nest burning with fuel containers. We used bombs originally but that seems kind of overkill and is an extremely niche craft. Also, libel to eventually bring the thing crashing down.
Lab - Probably another gate/hatch

Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 am      Reply with quote

Hospital might be a bit far to do this sort of thing with. Unless the scav gets better, anyway!

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

Eeeee stuff getting dangerous. Eeeee.

ShoSH
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 am      Reply with quote

Just how much of an issue is this going to be for people who aren't too combat ready? I realize everyone is talking about "SIMS" and whatnot in this thread and it is a little insulting, actually, because we're all roleplayers here regardless of what one person considers roleplay compared to another.

I'm just curious, since I've never actually fought anything in this game before what we are looking at for level of, "You just got jumped by a single NPC or two walking to the Market, and now your character is dead" level of screwed? Is that the sort of thing that could happen now?

I am all for adjusting to this sort of thing I guess, but it almost feels like it won't be an issue and maybe even a benefit for combat characters and a huge detriment to the people who play social characters.

What are we looking at here? Just how difficult are monkeys to avoid/not die to if you're not a combat character? Am I really going to need to walk around in nothing but armor even though I'm not a combat character?

Just concerned, is all.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

I think it's easy to take my mention of the Sims, and general methodology, as a criticism of 'social' roleplayers, but that's far from the intent.

On the contrary, I think that social roleplay is a very important part of the roleplay experience.

However, social roleplay on its own is static. Little to nothing changes, outside of personal relationships. People cluster and clique. There's no reason for people to interact outside of groups they're accustomed to working with. Things get stale very fast.

The counterpoint of social roleplay is coooooooonflict RP. Conflict RP is everything that social roleplay isn't. It's dynamic, dangerous. It keeps things exciting and unpredictable. Conflict puts characters through struggles and lets some people really shine in their storytelling. But on its own, most of the time it feels more like code than RP.

PRPI's been lacking in any legitimate conflict, either PvP or, honestly, challenging/engaging PvE, for a long, long time. The coded elements that exist to facilitate these things are weak, and encourage the twinkiest behavior possible, more often than not.

This element of the game absolutely, imperatively, NEEDS shoring up.

But ultimately, BOTH social roleplay AND conflict roleplay are utterly and completely useless without CONTEXT WITHIN A GREATER STORY, and that's been missing as well.

So, yes. I don't think that PRPI's players have been getting or making their share of Deep, Engaging RolePlay (DERP). You're correct, though, in that I do not believe that social RP, in and of itself, with very limited context within a greater story, constitutes great roleplay. Neither does murdering lizards to keep them from eating your friends. But to even get STARTED back on the track of having players getting immersed, invested, and interested in the game, there first needs to be some framework that both incentivizes and provides cause for people to do SOMETHING.

Considering how ludicrously low PRPI's death rate has been thus far along (has anybody actually died during a group event since the Niner death squad?), I think the margin for error is plenty wide enough to accommodate the rare occasion that somebody might die as a result of a completely IC event. On the plus side, I think I mentioned before, that where possible, I WILL try to come animate if somebody starts getting eaten, or at the very minimum work with deceased players to set a scene at the site of their death.

I am in absolute agreement that death to a mindless, coded mob, with the very minimum of story buildup and little to no roleplay is SAD and ABSOLUTELY sucks, and is a total waste. But isn't dying usually? It's a sad, but realistic fact that most Rusters are going to meet an ignominious or otherwise unhappy end. Still. I want death to at least give the gratification of allowing players the opportunity to ROLEPLAY THEIR OWN DEATH, and would love to hear thoughts and brainstorming on ways to make the death system less sucky in general.

mag3man1
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 pm      Reply with quote

What I've always considered, as far as death goes, is the ability to (in some cases, at least) RP "after death" sort of.

What I mean by this is, if you're fighting, say, a group of spiders. Three of them are on you, and you fall to 1 star. Get knocked unconscious. After another couple hits, you're "dead". But you have the chance to wake up for a minute or two, so that you can RP out the death with the grouping around you.

If you die with a group of your friends, they can try to save you, but the chances of living after taking a fatal blow is extremely low. Like, 1% from a crap doctor, 3% from a decent doctor, 5% from an amazing doctor...

But still. This allows the chance for a PC to die with some RP. It could be interesting, seeing what people do in their last few seconds as a PC.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 pm      Reply with quote

I agree entirely that changes to what happens when people lose consciousness/are killed are at the core of making death better to roleplay. Especially with regards to allowing some emoting prior to actual code death.

I also think that working medicine into the equation would be a fantastic change, but these things aren't within the realm of things I can do, myself.

What I CAN do, at the moment, at an absolute minimum, is take requests from players as far as omoting their remains/belongings, in the event of solo deaths, if I receive the petition before the corpse is found by other players. Are there other small things along those lines that would help make the experience marginally less shitty? I don't know, this probably deserves an entire thread of its own.

mag3man1
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:49 am      Reply with quote

To be fair, the code for the half-death style of thing is already there, with the infection code. Ideally, you could just modify it so that the chances of survival are incredibly lower than what it is currently, and treat it as if you are just dying instead of becoming infected from Atonement.

That said, I'm not a coder, or a builder, or anything. I don't know how well this will work.

Page 6 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic